The early morning mail included an e-mail from Brooke Malloy with a photograph of fire blazing from the kitchen at Doe’s Eat Place on Markham Street late last night. The fire seemed at this angle, judging by illuminated smoke, to involve the back room, scene of many a lobbyfest over the years.
UPDATE: I swung by this morning. The place is locked up, with a “quarantine” sign on the front door, presumably to insure that all food is properly disposed of. An acrid smell hung over the property. The front dining area doesn’t seem to have been burned. Other parts of the restaurant weren’t readily visible, though I couldn’t spot signs of fire damage on the exterior of the building. Perhaps it was just a monster of a kitchen grease fire. (Grease, at Doe’s? Say it ain’t so.)