- Dan Rees for Discovery’s “Frozen Planet”
- THE BIG THAW: Greenland’s melting glaciers are among the subjects of Discovery “Frozen Planet” series. Stunning photos; no explanations. Fear of right-wing climate deniers.
Have you ever experienced a more glorious day in Little Rock, Ark.? Not me. What’s happening:
* CLIMATE CHANGE? WHAT CLIMATE CHANGE? That picture above isn’t from Little Rock, but Greenland. Producers of a universally acclaimed Discovery series “Frozen Planet” on life at the poles — including polar bears and penguins stranded and dying — avoided discussing causes of climate change because of fear of the angry minority that now drives discussion of climate issues (as the essentially same angry minority dominates debate on guns, gay rights, millionaires’ taxes, abortion, etc.) Amazing admission from show producer: She didn’t want “science” to raise questions about the shows’ “objectivity.” Yes. They had a TV series about the dreadful impact of global warming without talking about why it’s getting warmer.
* WATERGATE: Chuck Colson, Watergate felon and born-again minister, is dead.
* HOGS WIN: Chris Bahn of Arkansas Sports 360 Twitters that the Razorbacks drew record 45,000 to their spring intrasquad football game. Ohio State drew 81,000, by way of comparison. He also reports Athletic Director Jeff Long is days away from a head coach announcement.
* ANOTHER INNOCENT KILLER WITH A GUN: Shades of Trayvon Martin. Media attention has given new life to another no-fault gun killing, this one more inexplicable than the infamous Martin case. It happened in Chadbourn, N.C. Sixteen-year-old Jasmine Thar was texting someone in her godmother’s yard Dec. 23 when a shot was fired. She was killed. Her godmother and friend were injured by the same bullet. James Anthony Blackwell, 23, said the Remington bolt action rifle he was cleaning nearby fired without his pulling the trigger. Police neither arrested him nor charged him. Further investigations are now underway. It so happens the victims were black; Blackwell happpens to be white. News reports say that, coincidentally, a Nazi flag and Confederate magazine were found in Blackwell’s room. Forget about race. Focus, again, on the presumption given to people who kill with guns. When an automobile runs down a bicyclist not otherwise violating any traffic laws, you generally expect at least a traffic ticket to be issued. But you can accidentally kill one person and wound two others with a gun and no foul is called? There’s a petition, Justice for Jasmine.