Gregory Carlson, 46, of Paron suffered a severe injury to his hand about 6:30 p.m. Tuesday when a homemade cannon exploded unexpectedly at his home on Kanis Road near Paron in western Pulaski County.
A sheriff’s report said Carlson, who was hospitalized, suffered a severe injury to his left hand and burns to his chest and face. The report indicates the blast took off part of Carlson’s hand. He told the deputy a spark triggered the explosion as he packed a metal tube with an explosive substance.
PS — An update from the sheriff’s office said the substance was misspelled in the linked report as “Pyrex.” It should have been referred to as Pyrodex, a black powder substitute.