Has it been a year already? I suspect it doesn’t feel nearly that long for Jason Baldwin, Damien Echols and Jessie Misskelley, who spent almost half of their lives behind bars. But the anniversary of their release (Aug. 19) is just about upon us, and their supporters have sent out a reminder that that a $200,000 reward for information leading to an arrest and conviction remains on the table, and a tip-line, 501-256-1775, continues to accept information.
Lonnie Soury, a spokesman for the WM3, told me today that the tip-line had yielded information — “no homeruns, but that’s typical in an investigation like this” — that had been passed along to Prosecutor Scott Ellington. Soury said the group is committed to finding the killers.
In the release, Echols said his upcoming memoir, “Life After Death,” and the documentary “West of Memphis” (out in September and December, respectively), “serve the purpose of continuing to put pressure on the state of Arkansas in hopes that they will eventually do the right thing and reopen the case.”
Baldwin said he’s had a momentous year.
“This has been an incredible year. Thanks to the generosity of more people than I could possibly name, I earned my first paycheck, found my first apartment and learned to drive, all the same goals I had as a 16-year-old kid that have been deferred for so long.
“Recently, I have had the opportunity to travel both across the country and internationally advocating for a number of incredibly important causes, such as abolishing the death penalty and eliminating juvenile life without parole. I am also enrolled in undergraduate studies in pursuit of a law degree so that I can continue to help reform the justice system and ensure that wrongful convictions become a thing of the past.”
Read the full release, including a statement from Peter Jackson and Fran Walsh, on the jump.