The State Police are reporting that officers shot a Judsonia-area man after a long standoff with police in which he fired twice at officers.

The release:


At approximately 8 PM Monday (September 16th), local law enforcement personnel responded to a call for help from residents in a sub-division off State Highway 367 north of Judsonia (White County). The initial call reported a man who lived in the area making threats to neighbors.

Upon arrival in the neighborhood, a Judsonia Police Officer attempted to make contact with Charles Adrien Martin, 40, of 117 Meadowview Circle who had been the subject of the complaint.

Unable to make contact with Martin, the local officer drove to a nearby house along the same street. While talking to the resident, Martin exited his home and fired a gun at the police officer.

As additional law enforcement officers arrived on the scene, Martin refused to come outside his house and meet with police officers and sheriff’s deputies.

Local authorities contacted the Arkansas State Police for assistance and shortly after 10 PM the department’s SWAT team was outside Martin’s home.

Late into the evening more attempts to establish communication with Martin went unanswered.

At approximately 1 AM today (September 17th) a State Police robot was able to approach Martin’s residence and gain entry at the front door.

Minutes later Martin opened fire on the robot, disabling the device, then directed gunfire toward the State Police SWAT team that had taken cover behind a State Police armored truck situated at the front of Martin’s home.

State Troopers assigned to the SWAT team returned fire, wounding Martin who was later pronounced dead at a White County hospital.

The incident is under review by the State Police Office of Professional Standards.

Special Agents of the State Police Criminal Investigation Division are investigating the shooting and will submit an investigative file to the White County Prosecuting Attorney for purposes of determining if the use of deadly force by law enforcement officers in this incident was consistent with applicable state law.