Little Rock city officials announced Thursday afternoon they had cut off utilities to a building at 3910 Asher Avenue that houses Midtown Bar and Grill due to unsafe conditions. The business is not to be confused with Midtown Billiards on South Main Street.
City inspectors cited several code violations, including an improperly installed exhaust hood on the kitchen cookstove, an extension cord running next to a sink and “ceilings falling in.”
City Manger Bruce T. Moore said in a statement that “we could not stand by and allow citizens to enter an unsafe building.” The city also said two events scheduled to take place on Thursday and Saturday night had been cancelled. (The Saturday night event appears to be this one, titled “1st Annual Booty Bowl.”)
The city’s press release:
LITTLE ROCK (Sept. 7, 2017) – Two events scheduled to take place tonight (Sept. 7) and Saturday (Sept. 9), at the Midtown Bar and Grill located at 3910 Asher Avenue will not move forward, city officials announced today.
The premises have been determined by City building inspectors to be unsafe and a notice of this fact has been placed on the building. To ensure that no activity occurs on the premises, all utilities have been shut off. The owner of the building has cooperated with City officials and the doors have been locked to prevent access by the tenants.
City building inspectors found:
· The facility had no fire alarms or fire extinguishers installed.
· Cooking was done on a stove that had an improperly installed exhaust hood that had no fire protection system.
· In the kitchen, an extension cord hung from the ceiling to within half an inch of the sink faucet despite the admonition of inspectors last year to remove it.
· Ceilings falling in.
· Improper lighting.
City Manger Bruce T. Moore said that while the City does not seek to interfere in a business’s operations, action was required.
“I am charged with the public safety of our city,” he said. “We could not stand by and allow citizens to enter an unsafe building.”